DubsTech

DubsTech

 
logo.jpg
 
 
 

I co-founded student organization DubsTech with four other students to bring students with tech skills to teach students who wanted to learn. 

Over two quarters, we held three classes: UI/UX design (in which I was a student as well as organizer), Android app development, and front-end web development. We wanted to attract students who would otherwise not feel confident about learning tech skills. 

Though I was not a designer at this time, this was my first experience working with a designer and iterating frequently to get a final product. 

I worked with Chloe Yeo from The Daily of the University of Washington to work on our product. I worked with her on multiple iterations, showcased below. 

 
Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 8.24.47 PM.png

The First Logo

Before the organization was founded, two of the founding members had already created a logo. When a friend and I joined the effort, we decided to change the logo and make it "friendlier," because we didn't want the organization to look "techy" or threatening. Bright colors and cute shapes a la Google were the name of the game. 

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 1.56.06 PM.png
 

The First Change

When I recruited my friend Chloe from The Daily, we got a huge fillip in terms of design talent. In coming up with this logo, I iterated with her at her workstation. My inspiration for this shape was the "accordion book," which I was creating as part of my English class. The idea of something opening up easily was my inspiration. Chloe agreed and came up with this beautiful design while I sat there. 

Ultimately, we let this go, as the logo, though beautiful, was too wide for most contexts and too color dependent. In Black and white, the many-dimensional nature of the design would be lost. We decided that a square or a box would be most appropriate. 

IMG_0063.JPG

The First Box

This was a very early version of the logo I sketched out using pen and color pencils. Chloe and I went back and forth a few times with ideas over text. This one looked too much like a disposable toilet, but it got some parts across clearly. It was less color dependent, a lot more compact, and gave the idea of a technical subject "giving up" its secrets easily and in an accessible manner. 

UW Mail - logoss-page-001.jpg

Iterations

The process continued over email, with Chloe running with the idea of the box and creating several different prototypes. As you can see, I was with her every step of the way, offering my suggestions and criticisms. We were close to done with the logo. 

11214016_1520255364940159_8457849053852423646_n.jpg

The Final Logo

This logo went off one of the ideas in the previous iteration. The big new idea here was the "peeling back" of the box of tech holding its secrets, thus highlighting the process and hinting at the result. 

Coupled with a snazzy slogan we brainstormed on, the process was complete. 

posters-page-001.jpg

Creating the Posters

While we were iterating the logo, an earlier version served as the lynchpin of our poster designs. I wanted to look at people from various walks of life who had spoken about tech as an important part of the modern world. I was also intent on having some ethic diversity in our outreach, because reaching minority students was a priority of ours. My initial idea was to have a "posterize" effect, but Chloe demonstrated that it didn't work. Thus, we moved to a flatter effect and chose the layout of the posters. 

000.jpg

Using the Logo

Here I am in the center holding the banner with the DubsTech admin and the first cohort of students in Winter quarter, 2016. 


Home    Design    Journalism